Re: advice on updating kernel image

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 11:20, Randall Smith wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some advice on updating my kernel.  I currently have kernel
> 2.4.25-1 installed from the initial sarge installation and would like to
> upgrade to the current kernel version (2.4.27).  The machine is a DELL
> POWEREDGE 2500 that uses aicraid, aic7xxx modules.  These modules are
> required to boot and I am concerned that if I upgrade the kernel using
> aptitude install kernel-imagexxx, I will not be able to boot.  I'm not a
> linux newbie, but I'm not very knowledgeable of the boot process.  Any
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Randall

Just make sure those modules are placed in the initial ram disk, and
everything will be fine.

Note that when you install a new kernel image using aptitude, your old
kernel will still be bootable.  Just remember to run lilo or update-grub
before you reboot.  That way, if anything goes wrong with your new kernel,
you can boot your old one.

Justin Guerin