Re: apt .v. aptitude (was Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?)

Steve Lamb(grey@dmiyu.org) is reported to have said:
> Marc Wilson wrote:
> >Try it... put a package on hold with the normal tools (dpkg, dselect), then
>
>     Hrm, works fine here.  Of course it helps to note that my "normal
>     tools" is aptitude.  If one is using aptitude why would one be using
> dselect?  dpkg I can see when installing third party applications
> (transgaming, for example) but that's mostly confined to "dpkg -i".

Steve, when you place a package on hold, with aptitude, does it show
the package is on hold?  It doesn't do that, with a package that isn't
installed (p tetex), here with apitiude version 0.2.15.8, but
dpkg -l tetex* does show its on hold

VT1 root-3-Buddy:~# dpkg -l tetex*
| |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err:
| |uppercase=bad)
| |||hn  tetex-base                         <none> | |||(no description available) | |||
| |||un  tetex-eurosym                      <none> | |||(no description available) | |||
| |||

I don't see why aptitude should show different status information then
dpkg does. Thats just one of many odd things I find when I use
aptitude.

Wayne
--
MICROSOFT: Most Intelligent Customers Realize Our Software is Only
for Fools and Teenagers.