Re: how to remove exim4 without removing mysql-server?

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:33:32PM -0800, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 01:43:38PM +0000, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > >
> > > Aptitude shouldn't be used until its fundamental breakages are resolved.
>
> It ignores the status file in favor of its own re-implementation of it.

That's not really a problem, other than #137771, which I assume will be
fixed some day.

> Its behavior regarding dependency resolution is different depending on
> whether you're using it from the command line or the ncurses interface.

Bug number?  I've never seen this myself, and don't really care anyway
since I do any dependency resolution in the ncurses interface.

> It's claimed that aptitude is a drop-in replacement for apt-get, except

Claimed by whom?

> that aptitude by default installs Recommends/Suggests, while apt-get only
> tells you about them.

By default it installs recommends but not suggests, which is pretty sane
to me.

I guess all of your problems with aptitude have to do with the
command-line interface.  It seems rather foolish to complain about that
though, since if your using it you're missing out on pretty much all
of the power and usefulness of aptitude.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!