Re: I need a fast installation method

On Sunday 14 November 2004 20:20, Nicolas Patik wrote:
> Hi, I was wondering which are your favorites fast installation methods?
>
> I need to have ready a fast install method,
> what do you suggest?
> anything apt related?
> or creating my own CD?
> or a NFS install?
>
> Is it possible to install from only one floppy?
>
> Thanks,

I do net install for the base system. I also make a point of collecting
various package lists (dpkg --get-selections > file) on various "type" boxes
(e.g. workstation, firewall, webserver, laptop, etc)  that I maintain. That
way, if I am building a firewall, I can start with a basic package list from
a firewall, and tailor it as needed. In fact, gathering the package lists is
part of my weekly/monthly backups.

Hence, when I build a new system, I do the base install, then once that is
complete, copy the package list over to the new box, and do the following:

apt-get update
zcat firewall-pkglist.gz | dpkg --set-selections
apt-get dselect-upgrade

And voila. Configure the box and you are off to the races.

--
--Brad
Bradley M. Alexander                       |