Re: why debian - longer

On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 08:25:19PM -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> I don't need to know which directories
> to tar, they're in the dpkg.

If you ever need to insert raw .debs from scratch: ar -x on the .deb
yields a control.tar.gz and a data.tar.gz.  cp or mv the data.tar.gz to /
and unpack it with tar zxvf data.tar.gz and all the package parts drop
into place.

I killed a machine at work the other day and managed to get back enough
on it to start rebuilding the package database from that. Not fun when
even ls has disappeared :) As far as I know, you can't do that with an
.rpm  Another + for Debian :)

Andy