Re: why debian - longer

hi ya jeremy

- not to be nit picky .. but just a comment

On Sat, 13 Nov 2004, Jeremy Turner wrote:

> Too many extra hoops?
>
> $ fakeroot make-kpkg -rev `hostname`.1 kernel_image
> $ sudo dpkg -i ../kernel-image....deb
>   update lilo/grub [if needed]

assuming that the /usr/src/linux/.config is configured properly

most non-debianites will probably do:
	make .. make bzlilo .. make modules ... blah ..

	tar zcvf /usr/src/linux-2.4.latest.bin.tgz \
		/usr/src/linux-2.4.latest\
	 	/lib/moudles/linux-2.4.latest\
		/etc/lilo.conf\
		/boot/grub/menu.list

to install ..
	same as all distro .. just install it

in my book, there is no significant advantage to make-kpkg + dpkg

> And the cool benefit of this is that you can save the kernel image .deb
> off incase you ever need to rebuild the system.

see above

> What kernel module problems exist in the debian kernel?  You mean from
> modules I build using make-kpkg or the stock debian kernels?

stock kernel problems ... which is next to impossible to work for
"everybody for every combination of hardware"
	sound doesn't work
	ide/scsi doesn't work
	x11 doesn't work
	.. more fun stuff ...

... which is NO different than anybody else stock kernels

i like those phone calls .... ez $$$ ...

> This isn't unique to debian, but to all of linux.  Debian provides the
> stock kernels for those who don't want to build their own.

see above

- the issue is if it takes them 5 min to do it one way and 50 minutes
  a different way ... they might take one or the other depending on
  their goals ( kill time and learn ) or get it done and move on

c ya
alvin