Re: why debian

On Fri, 2004-11-12 at 16:52 +0200, Emil Perhinschi wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 08:08:36 -0600
> Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > > I don't like Debian very much :).  I started to understand Linux
> > > when I used Slackware back in 1999, and I still daydream of
> > > installing it back
> > [snip]
> > > I guess I won't switch to other distribution any time soon ... now I
> >
> > If you dislike it so much, why do you then go on to list it's
> > virtues, and say you won't switch
>
> I don't "dislike it so much" :)   I wanted to stress the point that I
> did not choose it on a sentimental base, but for the most pragmatic of
> reasons: I waste less time setting it up, configuring, installing new
> software, upgrading etc. and can just start doing my work, which most of
> the time has little to do with system engineering.

I agree completely. If you really want to tinker with your system and
give yourself work to do, Debian isn't the BEST choice. (It's not a BAD
choice for that, it's just not the best.) BUT, if you just want to give
yourself a working system that won't put you into dependency hell every
time you try to do an upgrade, Debian is definitely the way to go. And
later, if you want to go back and do some tinkering, you can.

Though I have to admit that I do also like Debian from a sentimental
base. It was my first ever Linux install since it was the distro being
recommended by the FSF at the time. And to date, it's still the best
thought out distro that I've used. I think that Debian's biggest
strength has nothing to do with apt, or dpkg, or even that it's free
software. Debian's biggest strength and the reason that it done so well
over the years, is the Debian Social Contract and the Debian Free
Software Guidelines. Those two documents give Debian the foundation that
makes it such a rock-distro day after day.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837