Re: why debian

If this message was posted on a mixed-distro list it would be a call for
a huge flame war :)

Well, I don't want to start a flame war, so please, take my statements
cum grano salis and, please, do not get angry :)

I don't like Debian very much :).  I started to understand Linux when I
used Slackware back in 1999, and I still daydream of installing it back
on my computer but I don't seem to find the time. About 2002 (I am not
sure about the date... woody went stable latter that year) I installed
Debian on the same disk as Slackware just to see what is it about and,
step by step, I began doing all my work on Debian... after a couple of
months I realized I am not using my Slackware any longer and when I
needed the space I deleted it...

I guess Debian is the best if you just want to start doing non-geekish
stuff like reading mail, writing term papers/articles/poetry/... ,
listening music, watching movies or writing your own apps ...

If you need a distro to compile your own packages on it, to configure it
the way you like it etc., then I guess it does not really matter which
one you use ... as long as you login as root and start a text editor all
Linux distributions are almost the same thing. If you want to have the
meanest and leanest Linux installation ever seen, you can always
install no matter what distribution and start building a Linux from
scratch ...

I guess I won't switch to other distribution any time soon ... now I
don't even have that spare partition I used to test other distros, and I
am not looking into other Linux distributions unless I have, but really
have to (i.e. if I have to teach Linux to people that insist on using
another distribution).

In conclusion, if you want to start using the computer as soon as
possible and with as little fracas as possible, try Debian. Otherwise
get a big disk, and try them all :)

e.p.