Re: Newbie question: DHCP set up

sleepless wrote:

Hello,

I've just started using Debian on my machine (which dual boots with
Windoze - need to keep it for work)... I've been using Knoppix for a
while but wanted to have a more permanent system. My friend helped me
with the setup but since we did it in his home, the DHCP points to his
IP/Router... How do I release it and reconfigure my laptop to capture
an IP? I use cable modem...

I am sure this is a very basic question,so please be patient with a newbie :)

Cheers,
Hager

As root, type at a command line:

# /etc/init.d/networking restart

which should work, although with networking, it seems I've had better luck with:

# /etc/init.d/networking stop
# /etc/init.d/networking start

Neither of these should be necessary, as when you booted into Debian the necessary functions of these scripts should have automatically taken place. So I wonder if your network is configured for static instead of DHCP. You can configure DHCP vs static in /etc/networking/interfaces. The command "man interfaces" will provide more info if you need it.

--
Kent