Re: Newbie question: DHCP set up

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 00:19:41 -0500, sleepless <hagerbenmahmoud@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've just started using Debian on my machine (which dual boots with
> Windoze - need to keep it for work)... I've been using Knoppix for a
> while but wanted to have a more permanent system. My friend helped me
> with the setup but since we did it in his home, the DHCP points to his
> IP/Router... How do I release it and reconfigure my laptop to capture
> an IP? I use cable modem...
>
> I am sure this is a very basic question,so please be patient with a newbie :)

On my laptop, I didn't have to do anything.  If it's set up to
determine its IP address using DHCP, it should just be broadcasting
the DHCP request and listening for any response.  For example, from my
logs:

Oct  9 23:53:44 localhost dhclient: DHCPREQUEST on eth0 to
255.255.255.255 port 67
Oct  9 23:53:45 localhost dhclient: DHCPACK from 192.168.1.1

Your cable modem is probably using DHCP as well.

--
Michael A. Marsh
http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~mmarsh