Re: How to configure network card for Sarge netinst?

--- Rick Friedman <RickFriedman@vfemail.net> wrote:

> Justin Rosander wrote:
> > Rick, is this your computer at home, or work?  If
> at home, does your ISP give
> > you a static or dynamic IP?  Do you have DSL or
> dialup?  Usually your ISP is
> > a good start at getting this IP info, if you don't
> connect via DHCP.
> > regards,
> > Justin
> > On Thursday 11 November 2004 02:58 pm, Rick
> Friedman wrote:
> >
> >>Well, I downloaded and burned the netinst CD for
> Sarge. It boots fine
> >>and I can start the installation with no problem.
> >>
> >>My hesitance comes with configuring the network.
> The installation
> >>attempts to configure the network with DHCP. It
> then returns a message
> >>saying: "The network is not using the DHCP
> protocol." It then allows me
> >>to press a Continue button. BTW... my machine is a
> standalone machine,
> >>not connected to any local network.
> >>
> >>At this point, the installation gives me the
> opportunity to configure
> >>the network manually.
> >>
> >>1) It asks me for the IP address for this
> computer. What do I enter??
> >>Can I enter any valid IP address?
> >>
> >>2) After that, it asks me to enter the netmask.
> Should I just accept the
> >>default (255.255.255.0)??
> >>
> >>3) Then, I am asked to enter the gateway IP
> address. I have no router.
> >>It says in rare cases (with no router) the address
> can be left blank.
> >>Should I leave it blank? Should I enter some
> address??
> >>
> >>4) It then asks me to enter the nameserver
> addresses. I have the address
> >>of Verizon Online's nameservers. OH! I have a DSL
> connection with
> >>Verizon Online and my network card is SiS900 PCI
> Ethernet adapter. I
> >>should enter those nameserver addresses here??
> >>
> >>I haven't gone any farther than that. I wanted to
> verify what I should
> >>enter for the network configuration first.
>
> Justin,
>
> This computer is at home. As I said in the previous
> message, I have DSL
> from Verizon Online. I get a dynamic IP from them.
>
> Thanks,
> Rick
> --
>   "Income tax returns are the most imaginative
> fiction being written
> today." - Herman Wouk
Then specify dhcp option, if it does not work you can
enter any ip and the default values and configure it
after installation.

I think you must need pppoe in order to connect to the
internet.

I have a dsl connection too, but I am in a business
network, all that I configure was my ip static, the
default gateway was the address of my dsl modem(In my
case a speed stream 5200), define my linux box as my
domain name server and it works great.!!

Regards.

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)