Re: root crash recovery

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 03:15:28PM +0300, Al Nikolov wrote:
> Hi all
>
> My root filesystem has crashed because of hardware failure. (Although, it
> was ext3, and i wasn't supposed that may happens... Where's my fault?)
>
> But there are still alive usr and, more important, var. I plan to install
> the minimal system onto new clean root partition, mount old usr and var,
> and reinstall all packages existed before the crash.
>
> I suppose something like
>
> apt-cache pkgnames|xargs -n1 apt-get --reinstall install

This lists all known packages.  I think what you are wanting is
(see dpkg(8)):

       To make a local copy of the package selection states:
            dpkg --get-selections >myselections

       You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it
       there with:
            dpkg --set-selections <myselections
       Note that this will not actually install or remove anything, but
       just set the selection state on  the  requested  packages.   You
       will  need  some  other  application  to  actually  download and
       install the requested packages.  For example,  run  dselect  and
       choose "Install".

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.