Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

Robert Parker writes:

The '#' before the commands that work should tell us something, doesn't it mean that the user is root? The 2.6.8 kernel has a bug (or security feature???) that will not allow setuid root programs to run with root privilege.
Just become root and run from there. I suspect that all will be well.

You suspect wrong. I was well aware of this "feature" having read through all the flamewar on lkml. All my tests have been conducted as root. It seems that DMA causes the hang, using ATAPI: stops DMA and then it works. I also tried cdrecord dev=/dev/hdc blank=fast And this also hangs (despite the fact that I have setup /etc/cdrecord/default to be ATAPI:)
Alan Chandler
alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk