Re: Can't burn CDs since kernel 2.6.7 - am I the only one?

On Wednesday 10 November 2004 18:44, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 November 2004 18:33, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I used the simple command
> >
> > cdrecord dev=ATA:1,0,0 blank=fast
> >
> > and (with a Rewriteable CD in the drive) it then preceeds to hang.
>
> Just did a little experiement - loaded kernels right back to 2.6.3 and they
> all hang
>
> loaded kernel 2.4.27 and this complains about missing scsi stuff BUT
>
> cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0 blank=fast
>
> works on both 2.4.27 and 2.6.9
>
> Seems this is something to do with DMA (or lack of it for this device?)

The '#' before the commands that work should tell us something, doesn't it
mean that the user is root?
The 2.6.8 kernel has a bug (or security feature???) that will not allow
setuid root programs to run with root privilege.
Just become root and run from there. I suspect that all will be well.

HTH
Bob

--
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.