On Free Java Implementations (was: Re: Blackdown)

On Nov 09 2004, Jules Dubois wrote:
> How about Kaffe?  It's Free and already packaged, it seems.

Yes, not only that, but Kaffe is also in testing, which means that it has
passed the "testing sieve". And also sablevm seems to be as good for my
purposes as Kaffe.

Both of them now are able to run programs like PPower4 (which is a program
written in Java for making slides/transparencies with LaTeX in PDF).

In fact, the state of Free implementations of Java is getting better all
the time and I even got some free time to package ppower4 and put it on
<http://www.ime.usp.br/~rbrito/debian/>. Comments on the packaging are
highly welcome, as I am a newbie creating Debian packages.

And, for those that don't know, installing the package free-java-sdk is a
good way to have a Free software development environment for Java (together
with Emacs's ecb, for instance).

In fact #2, I only got interested in Java when Kaffe hit sarge.

Hope this helps, Rogério.

--
Learn to quote e-mails decently at:
http://pub.tsn.dk/how-to-quote.php