Re: Passwd fails - what went wrong?

On 08 Nov 2004, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:

> On Monday 08 November 2004 09:55 am, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
> > No that is not the problem. The passwd itself fails and I cannot change
> > passwd for any user. In fact the above transcript points this out.
> >
> > passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
> > adduser: `/usr/bin/passwd lata' returned error code 10.  Aborting.
> >
> > It adds the group alright. It is the passwd setting that fails. It is
> > some PAM setup issue. I do not know for sure if it is. If so what do I
> > need to fix it.
> >
> > Thanks and Regards
> > Ramesh
>
> You haven't said about which distribution you actually are using ?

Make sure that the keys you press when you type the password generate
what you expect them to. Recently an upgrade changed the keymap I was
getting on bootup (don't know how) and the result was that when I typed
the password I was getting the wrong symbols.

Anthony

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic