Re: Passwd fails - what went wrong?

Kam-Ming Siu wrote:

Try
adduser -G users lata

May be the group "lata" does not exist as you adding the new user. As I
know by default debian would not create individual group for new user.

Regards,
Ming

On Sun, Nov 07, 2004 at 07:07:00PM -0600, Ramasubramanian Ramesh wrote:
Hi,

I have not changed passwd or added user for quite some time. This has been the case across several apt-get upgrades. Finally when I got to a point I wanted to setup an account, I ran into the following difficulty.

  lata [root] 54 > adduser lata
  Adding user lata...
  Adding new group lata (1002).
  Adding new user lata (1002) with group lata.
  Creating home directory /home/lata.
  Copying files from /etc/skel
  passwd: Authentication token manipulation error
  adduser: `/usr/bin/passwd lata' returned error code 10.  Aborting.
  Cleaning up.
  Removing directory `/home/lata'
  Removing user `lata'.
  Removing group `lata'.
  groupdel: group lata does not exist

I suspect one of the upgrades have subtly changed something. I am not sure what it is. All other things (that I tried) seem to work. Can you tell me what is broken? How to fix it?

Thanks and Regards
Ramesh