Re: Alsa Problem

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 23:20:11 -0800, mamas wrote:

> I installed Debian testing (2.4.27-1-386) with all of its Alsa packages
> (apt-get install...) so, afaik, I should get full support of my audio
> card (Terratec EWX24/96 i.e. ice1712).

It looks like you have a pre-built kernel package, which I never used.
Does it support ALSA?  Do you have the module(s) for that particular card?

> During boot the card gets well detected (Detecting Harware) but then,
> when "Starting Alsa" comes out, I can see an error message stating "no
> soundcard found".

I've been getting that message for weeks (under 2.6.x), but I have the
proper sound modules and sound works properly.

> If, as root, I use alsaconf I get the message "No supported PnP or PCI
> card found".

I'd say this indicates a lack of the proper driver module.  If you have
the module(s), can you load them with modprobe?

> But using lspci I get (amongs the rest):
>
> 0000:02:0d.0 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies Inc. ICE1712
> [Envy24] PCI Multi-Channel I/O Controller (rev 02)
>         Subsystem: TERRATEC Electronic GmbH: Unknown device 1130

The PCI driver in the kernel finds the device and recognizes it.  To make
use of it, you need the ALSA (or, alternatively, OSS) module(s).

> Any ideas?

See which ALSA module is required for your soundcard.

If you don't have it (them), configure ALSA ("--with-cards=" or something
like that).  Build and install the required module.

If you do have the it (them), load them manually or through /etc/modules.
I use, for ALSA under kernel 2.6:

  snd-emu10k1
  snd-emu10k1-synth

Or, do something similar for OSS.