Re: Alt Gr + key doesn't generate "extra" symbols any more

On Sun, 2004-11-07 at 19:13, Nicos Gollan wrote:
[...]
> As Andrea already said, it might be a problem with your DEs setup. If you're
> running unstable, there was an update to KDE 3.3 recently. That broke AltGr
> for me.

Personally I use fluxbox as WM (without DE) but I run several Gnome apps
that might fire off gnome-daemons...

But my girlfriend uses gnome on this laptop.

[...]
> If that doesn't fix it, have a look at the output of xmodmap. There should be
> a line like this:
>
> mod5        ISO_Level3_Shift (0x71)

Not exactly, it contains a line:
mod5	Mode_switch (0x5d), ISO_Level3_Shift (0x7c)

> If there isn't, you have to create that mapping yourself. Try running this
> command from an X terminal:
>
> xmodmap -e "add mod5 = ISO_Level3_Shift"

After this command the output from xmodmap remains the same so I assume
this is ok.

[...]

In the "gnome-keyboard-properties" Andrea mentioned the keyboard model
is set to "Generic 104-key PC" and only one layout option is selected
"Meta is mapped to the Win-keys.

Should I enable one of the options "Third level choosers"?  I have
tested a little bit but it didn't seem to affect much.  Do I need to
restart Gnome or X after changing anything there?

Where can I find more extensive documentation on this?  the help
browser's information is quite limited.

TIA

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)     kernel 2.4.20-4GB      i686     512MB RAM #