Alt Gr + key doesn't generate "extra" symbols any more

Hi

The subject line may not be defined very well but I don't know how to
formulate it any better.

Recently I edited my XF86Config-4 file (in an attempt to get the nvidia
drivers to work) and ever since something in my keyboard setup is
screwed up.

The keyboard layout is azerty and before messing things up pressing the
Alt Gr key in combination with the &-key generated the pipe symbol "|".
(Pressing the shift key with this key generates the number 1)

Similarly pressing Alt Gr + s should generate the greek beta (or german
eszet) "ß".

I have restored my previous XF86Config-4 file but I am still unable to
type any of these "extra" symbols.  Which other configuration determines
this behaviour?

The relevant part of the XF86Config-4 file (or at least the part that I
believe to be relevant) looks like:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"be"
	Option		"XkbOptions"	"altwin:meta_win"
EndSection

I tried to change pc104 to pc105 but that didn't help.

This is on my laptop running debian testing.

Can someone point me to the right configuration options/files?

TIA

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)     kernel 2.4.20-4GB      i686     512MB RAM #