Re: Can't use kb3 to copy cd's.

Justin Guerin wrote:

On Thursday 04 November 2004 16:09, Damon Chesser wrote:
I have two devices: hdc > cd writer, hdd > cd reader.  I can play audio
cd's from hdd, I can mount cd's with mp3's and play them.  I can burn
ISO's on hdc or make data cd's with hdc using k3b.  I never or almost
never copy a cd.  When I tried copying a cd from hdd to hdc via k3b, k3b
reports the cd is empty medium.  Different cd's, different types of
data.  Correct devices set up in k3b, using generic-mmc for cdrdao
driver for the burner and the reader.  Problem pursists as root or
user.  What am I missing?  I have R&R'd the reader with a different
reader, same problem.  If you need more info, please ask, I have tried
to provide as much as needed.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com

You might want to rearrange your hardware after reading about the -immed option in the cdrecord man page: -immed Tell cdrecord to set the SCSI IMMED flag in certain commands (load/eject/blank/close_track/close_session). This can be useful on broken systems with ATAPI harddisk and CD/DVD writer on the same bus or with SCSI systems that don't use disconnect/reconnect. These systems will freeze while blanking or fixating a CD/DVD or while a DVD writer is filling up a session to the minimum amount (approx. 800 MB). Setting the -immed flag will request the command to return immediately while the operation proceeds in the background, making the bus usable for the other devices and avoiding the system freeze. This is an experimental feature which may work or not, depending on the model of the CD/DVD writer. A correct solution would be to set up a correct cabling but there seem to be notebooks around that have been set up the wrong way by the manufacturer. As it is impossible to fix this problem in notebooks, the -immed option has been added. A second experimental feature of the -immed flag is to tell cdrecord to try to wait short times while writing to the media. This is expected to free the IDE bus if the CD/DVD writer and the data source are connected to the same IDE cable. In this case, the CD/DVD writer would otherwise usually block the IDE bus for nearly all the time making it impossible to fetch data from the source drive. See also minbuf= and -v option.

Use both features at your own risk. If it turns out that it would make sense to have a separate option for the wait feature, write to the author and convince him.

Hope that helps,
Justin Guerin

It kinda helps :) I am not (or am not supposed to be using) scisi emulation. I am using a 2.6.8.1-k7 image from debian, so maybe somehow scsi is emulating, only the devices do show up as hdd and hdc, both on the same controler. How can I check for scsi emulation. I don't think I can turn it off in the kernel as I use a thumb drive which does show up as a scsi device (sda1 FWIW). I am leaning toward a kernel config problem, but I don't know what it would be.

--
Damon L. Chesser
damon@damtek.com