RE: permissions problems in ssh session as root (WAS: apt-get install and upgrade errors)

Title: RE: permissions problems in ssh session as root (WAS: apt-get install and upgrade errors)

-----Original Message-----
From: Joost Witteveen [mailto:joostje@iliana.nl]
Sent: Fri 11/5/2004 3:36 AM
To: james derry
Cc: belahcene@iap-cu.dz; debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: permissions problems in ssh session as root (WAS: apt-get install and upgrade errors)

james derry wrote:
> #hi, bela,
>
> #thanks for your reply. as a sanity check, i made sure that as root to
> run `apt-get upgrade` from root directory (/). same problem.
>
> #looking further, it seems the problem may have to do with root
> permissions problems, and not with apt-get or dpkg at all. logged in as
> root on ssh, i cannot `touch` a test file to /usr/bin/ directory:
>
> touch: creating '/usr/bin/testFile': Permission denied

The only thing I can imagine is that /usr (or /usr/bin) is
network-mounted from some other host, that doesn't permit writing.
What does /proc/mounts say about how /usr is mounted?

/proc/mounts reads: /dev/sdb4 /usr ext2 rw 0 0

(If /usr were mounted read-only on a local device, root also would not
be allowed to touch there, but the error message would be different).

--
Groetjes
joostje