Re: Looking for a few good Sendmail gurus

On Thu, Nov 04, 2004 at 05:13:58PM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> hi ya
>
> On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Shane Liebling wrote:
>
> > I am running a couple wooody boxes.  I've got mail.foo.com and host.foo.com.
> > Anyone in the outside world can send mail to user@host.foo.com, and it gets
> > there directly.  But if someone is on the mailserver (mail.foo.com), or is
> > sending through it to user@host.foo.com, it doesn't go through.
> >
> > Sometimes there is just a general "local configuration error" (on
> > mail.foo.com) while doing the relay=host.foo.com piece (from the logs)...
> > Sometimes it will have the "loops back to me" error.
>
> what is the contents of your /etc/mail/local-host-names
> on host.foo.com and mail.foo.com and foo.com

There is no mention of host.foo.com in mail.foo.com's local-host-names (just
mail.foo.com and foo.com), currently host.foo.com's says the same thing (it
is our old mailserver - but from the error messages it is issues on the new
server -> nothing about issues w/ forged addresses)

> what is the contents of the optional /etc/mail/access and
> /etc/mail/virtusertable

Nothing too out of the ordinary, the normal localhost stuff, and the IP of
the firewall (which is the same ip as host.foo.com), but no host.foo.com

> any machine that receives email should be an "A" record vs a cname
> in your dns config files ( esp if it cannot deliver/receive the mail
> properly )

Both mail.foo.com and host.foo.com are A records.

> you should be using sendmail-8.13.1 ... to avoid silly avoidable problems

Well, as I said I am using woody (Sendmail 8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-7.1;)...

	-Shane

Shane Liebling                      Systems Administrator and SAGE Member
shane@cryptio.net                          http://www.cryptio.net/~shane/