Re: Looking for a few good Sendmail gurus

On Thu, 4 Nov 2004, Shane Liebling wrote:

> > what is the contents of your /etc/mail/local-host-names
> > on host.foo.com and mail.foo.com and foo.com
>
> There is no mention of host.foo.com in mail.foo.com's local-host-names (just
> mail.foo.com and foo.com), currently host.foo.com's says the same thing (it
> is our old mailserver - but from the error messages it is issues on the new
> server -> nothing about issues w/ forged addresses)

if a machine has host.foo.com  .. it will only accept/relay emails
for that that hostname

if a machine has foo.com listed, it will accept ALL emails for that domain
unless a higher MX record ( lower mx number ) machine says its alive and
it will do the work

local-host-names should have localhost, localhost.domainname and 127.0.0.1
and optionally it's machine.foo.com name  so it can deal with its own
emails from cron
	"cp /dev/null /var/spool/mail/root" once in a while

	( i like to see it delivered and look for whacky emails than
	( delete it later

> Both mail.foo.com and host.foo.com are A records.

good

> > you should be using sendmail-8.13.1 ... to avoid silly avoidable problems
>
> Well, as I said I am using woody (Sendmail 8.12.3/8.12.3/Debian-7.1;)...

for experiment ...
	- i'd use sendmail-8.13.1  and replace submit.cf too as its
	broken in whacky ways
	( 8.13.1 usually fixed any of my mail delivery/receipt issues )

c ya
alvin