Re: no cdaudio with alsa but ok with oss

Greg Folkert wrote:
On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:05 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Greg Folkert wrote:

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 10:02 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Hi Debian!

I spoke to soon, saying that the migration to alsa was a piece of cake.

I have all sound, but no cd audio. I did have that with oss.

Try to use the GNOME volume control:  /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control

See what is gives you. I used to use alsa-mixer but gave up when GNOME
Vol control shaped up.

Also, gnome-alsamixer seems to be nice too.

Also you might get some more info by poking around in /proc/asound

Interesting suggestion.

So I install gnome-volume-manager. First says that udev ain't around and then that there is a problem installing hal. I find a later hal and try that from the .deb. All sorts of dependencies. I remove everything.

Do it again. Installs clean. Install gnome-media too. No CDaudio.

I reboot.

Everything falls apart. Udev rearranges /dev to his mathematically phrased desires. Nvidia no longer starts because it isn't loaded. Put it in /etc/modules. Now it loads but cannot find the mice. I run Ruby multi-seat Linux BTW.

So for the moment I backed up to a partimage of 10/31 before I installed alsa. And the cd is back of course.

With all that alsa bought me nothing: I originally on the 31st installed it to see if fbxine would have sound: it doesn't.

[OT] This brings up a point: in a wink your foundations can be shifted and you will not know where you are. M$ avoids this problem by not showing anything. If you want to see something: buy the key.

I'll have to sort out what to do with udev and my mouselinks. Or wait till later?

Hugo