Re: no cdaudio with alsa but ok with oss

On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 12:05 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Greg Folkert wrote:
> > On Tue, 2004-11-02 at 10:02 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> >
> >>Hi Debian!
> >>
> >>I spoke to soon, saying that the migration to alsa was a piece of cake.
> >>
> >>I have all sound, but no cd audio. I did have that with oss.
> >>
> >>The cd slider does not show up in aumix nor alsamixer.
> >>
> >>I googled for a clue.
> >>
> >>libcdaudio is installed of course.
> >>
> >>Anybody give me a hint?
> >>
> >>To install alsa:
> >>1. I enabled alsa and the card in the kernel but without modules.
> >>2. I installed alsa-base.
> >>
> >>That gave me sound. I forgot to test the cd, until today.
> >

> > 1. Do you have the Redbook Audio Cable installed from said CDROM device
> > to said Sound card CD-IN input?
> > 2. If not, did you remove it during the installation of alsa (wink
> > wink... joking here, unless you did remove it)
> > 3. Have you tried Digital Audio Extraction, this is what "ripping" a CD
> > does. I know XMMS and Rhythmbox (only music stuff I use) does both.
> > 4. Make sure you have "unmuted" the CD-Audio.
>
> The problem is the CD-Audio slider is not present, like I said in my
> post. Not in alsamixer nor in aumix. In aumix it was present when I ran
> OSS. So the cable, etc. is like it was with OSS a week ago.
>
> I found a post in Spanish:
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&threadm=3d8798f4_3%40news.arrakis.es&rnum=18&prev=/groups%3Fas_q%3Dalsa%2520cdaudio%26safe%3Dimages%26as_scoring%3Dd%26lr%3D%26num%3D100%26hl%3Den
> that describes it and the guy went back to OSS. I won't. The answer is
> someplace. It isn't a bug because nobody talks about it.
>
> Somehow Alsa has decided there is no cdaudio to be had.
> I see no kernel config parms pointing to it.
> Don't tell me I have to find their mailing list to find out :-(

Try to use the GNOME volume control:  /usr/bin/gnome-volume-control

See what is gives you. I used to use alsa-mixer but gave up when GNOME
Vol control shaped up.

Also, gnome-alsamixer seems to be nice too.

Also you might get some more info by poking around in /proc/asound
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux