Re: grub, raid1 help

On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 09:58 -0700, Richard Weil wrote:
> I have a machine with three SCSI disks, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc.
> The machine boots off of /dev/sdc and I've put /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
> into a raid1 array, /dev/md0. I can not get the machine to boot off of
> /dev/md0; I keep getting kernel panics. Since everything else seems
> fine, I think the problem is with grub.
>
> I believe that I have grub installed in the mbr of all three drives. I
> don't think grub is quite right, though, since I get an error when I
> try:
>
> grub>find /grub/stage1
>
> A stanza in /boot/grub/menu.1st that works is:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7
> root            (hd2,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/sdc1 ro
> savedefault
> boot
>
> One that doesn't work is:
>
> title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7 DISK1
> root            (hd0,0)
> kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/md0 ro
> savedefault
> boot
>

> Any ideas?

Check bugs.debian.org. Check kernel-source-2.6.8 (as it is the one I
submitted)

Actually is my work e-mail.

It is a combo of UDEV and MD and Kernel messages and such. I removed
UDEV and used a static /dev for the time being.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster:  Linux