Re: grub, raid1 help

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Greg Folkert wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-10-29 at 09:58 -0700, Richard Weil wrote:
> > I have a machine with three SCSI disks, /dev/sda, /dev/sdb, /dev/sdc.
> > The machine boots off of /dev/sdc and I've put /dev/sda and /dev/sdb
> > into a raid1 array, /dev/md0. I can not get the machine to boot off of
> > /dev/md0; I keep getting kernel panics. Since everything else seems
> > fine, I think the problem is with grub.

grub is misconfigured or buggy ...

> > I believe that I have grub installed in the mbr of all three drives. I
> > don't think grub is quite right, though, since I get an error when I
> > try:
> >
> > grub>find /grub/stage1
> >
> > A stanza in /boot/grub/menu.1st that works is:
> >
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7
> > root            (hd2,0)

hd2 implies you're using /dev/sdc

assuming you do not have any ide devices and only sda, sdb, sdc

> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/sdc1 ro

this ( root=...) will NOT be a raid boot ...
	- pull sdc and your system will not boot ...

it's fine, as long as you didn't mean to boot off sda+sdb ( md0 )

> > One that doesn't work is:
> >
> > title           Debian GNU/Linux, kernel 2.6.7 DISK1
> > root            (hd0,0)
> > kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.7 root=/dev/md0 ro

i think grub will not boot ... hd0 is /dev/sda in your setup

i doubt /dev/md0 will become hd3
( i dont use grub for raid for this reason-- it doesnt work right )

i know lilo will boot ...
	boot=/dev/md0
	root=/dev/md0

c ya