Re: USE flags ??

Jon Dowland wrote:
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:46:38 -0700, Paul Johnson
<baloo@ursine.dyndns.org> wrote:

Well, you could always do apt-get source <package> and build your own
debian packages with your custom-made Makefiles.  How to do this for
anything other than the kernel package is a bit beyond me, though, as
software that performs significantly better with optimizations is
already compiled for the various sub-architectures.

You don't just mess with USE flags (or the build process) for
performance - e.g. you may not want to have x support in emacs, but
the debian emacs package has them and thus pulls in xlibs etc. etc.

Pulling the emacs source, the build-deps and modifying debian/rules
would allow you to build it w/o X, but it wouldn't modify the package
dependencies and the build-deps I think would pull in various X
things.

Did you try it or are you just guessing? Try it, I think you will be pleasantly surprised[though emacs isn't the best example since it already provides a nox package]. Just do apt-get source <package>, cd <package>, fakeroot dpkg-buildpackage -d ... , and voila any uninstalled, 'optional' build-dependencies will be ignored and their corresponding packages will be left out of the depends of the resulting package.