Re: Can't Boot 2.6 Kernel -- IDE is a Module

On Tuesday 26 October 2004 07:26 pm, Alvin Oga wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Oct 2004, Brian White wrote:
> > As far as I can tell, it's because the 2.6 kernel is compiled with
> > IDE as a module instead of including it in the kernel proper.  Is
> > there something I still need to do to allow this module to be
> > loaded?
>
> a) either compile your own kernel ... or modify your initrd.gz file
> that corresponds to your kernel
>  - if you can add "modprobe ide" ( or equivalent ) into the initrd
>  than you're all set
>
>  - you'd need lots of other stuff config'd so that you can modify
>  the initrd  depending on how that initrd was built
>
>  #
>  # cp /boot/initrd-xxx.gz /boot/initrd-test.gz
>  # gzip -d  /boot/initrd-test.gz
>  #
>  # mount -o loop /boot/initrd-test /mnt/loop
>  # cd /mnt/loop
>  # see where all the commands are ( ./linuxrc or equiv )
>  # add "modprobe ide" in ./linuxrc
>  # cd ~
>  # umount /mnt/loop
>  # gzip /boot/initrd-test
>  # change grub/lilo to use your new initrd-test.gz file instead
>  #
>
> b) compiling a new kernel is 10x better/easier/faster/guaranteed to
> work

I had the same problem, have seen a few other posts with the same. The
work-arounds usually work ..but.. maybe the issue needs to be dealt
with at a different level. It seems to me that the D-I (2.6.x kernels)
with mkinitrd? doesn't work with all  configurations.

--
Greg C. Madden