Re: USE flags ??

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Re: USE flags ??
Date: 	Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:11:58 +0000
From: 	Nick Smith <nick@computernick.com>
To: 	Paolo Alexis Falcone <pfalcone@gmail.com>

It is alright but there is always room for improvement, I think emerge
has the edge as a packet management tool. ;-P

During the early days of the Debian project, the members then did
consider going source-based: provide the upstream source and a
debianized patch afterwhich the users would compile it themselves.But
later on they did realize that a binary distribution would be more
maintainable.

i use gentoo primarily now because i like the feeling that every piece of software on my system from the bootstrap up is compiled for my hardware aka p4, every debian binary is built for a 386 machine to keep compatibility! and on top of that a stable debian release takes years! dont get me wrong i use to be die hard debian because of apt-get but i have seen the light, emerge is way more powerful then apt and overall system performance is far superior because you compile everything from scratch for your system, debian was great when i was a newby and didnt know how linux worked and it was great for a system that just worked, that is of course if you can over look all the apt problems, do an apt-get dist-upgrade and your entire system crashes, thats always nice. i still like them both and still run both on servers, and i even compared the two on two separate mail servers, and getnoo blew debian away hands down on performance. try it for yourself and you will see. just dont try a stage 1 on a 386 or you will literally be there for almost a week watching it compile. it is designed for the power user and for faster machines.

just my 2 cents

nick