Re: USE flags ??

On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 22:42:52 +0100, Jim Bailey <jim@freesolutions.net> wrote:
> On Oct 21, 09:56, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > WARNING: Unsanitized content follows.
> >
> > "Philippe Dhont   (Sea-ro)" <philippe.dhont@searo.be> writes:
> >
> > > Is there a possibility to use "USE FLAGS" like in gentoo ?
> >
> > No. We're not ricers.  http://www.funroll-loops.org/
>
> Speak for your self I find Gentoo is great for my mid-life crisis. ;-)
> >
> > > This would be very easy to install new software.
> >
> > Apt isn't good enough for you?
>
> It is alright but there is always room for improvement, I think emerge
> has the edge as a packet management tool. ;-P

During the early days of the Debian project, the members then did
consider going source-based: provide the upstream source and a
debianized patch afterwhich the users would compile it themselves.But
later on they did realize that a binary distribution would be more
maintainable.

--
Paolo Alexis Falcone
pfalcone@gmail.com