Re: Horrible Problem!! ide Interrupt error during install

On Sat, 23 Oct 2004 11:47:19 -0700 (PDT), Eric Dickner
<ejdickner@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> During a reinstall onto a dual boot partitioned hard
> drive I have twice in a row been stopped during the
> unpacking of the packages selected using 'tasksel'.
> Both times the error was a 'busy' coming from the
> 'hda' device.  I think that is the CD-ROM, right?

hda is the device attached to the first IDE channel as "master", hdb
is the device set as "slave".

> The machine will get stuck polling this interrupt
> until I shut it off and try and reboot.  This proves
> impossible; it asks me to remount the root directory
> as read/write and run 'fsck' by hand but the 'mount'
> doesn't work.

Could be a fault flat cable, or a dying HD. You can test the latter
downloading an utility from the manufacturer of your HD to check it.
Oh, and the CD-Rom could have problem to read disk too, specially if
dust has accumulated on the lens, or if the CD isn't burned correctly
or the media is cheap...

Andrea