Horrible Problem!! ide Interrupt error during install

Hello,

During a reinstall onto a dual boot partitioned hard
drive I have twice in a row been stopped during the
unpacking of the packages selected using 'tasksel'.
Both times the error was a 'busy' coming from the
'hda' device.  I think that is the CD-ROM, right?

The machine will get stuck polling this interrupt
until I shut it off and try and reboot.  This proves
impossible; it asks me to remount the root directory
as read/write and run 'fsck' by hand but the 'mount'
doesn't work.

This has happened twice in a row...I've installed
Debian 2.2.20-idepci twice on that partition before
with no problem, but now it seems like something has
changed.  As for the reason for the re-install, it was
for nothing bad at all and with the re-initializing of
the partition I can't see how anything could have
survived.

I tried that long block check and it made no
difference at all on this second try.  Any idea what
is wrong and is there any hope to fix it?

Thanks,

ejd