RE: Re: Horrible Problem!! ide Interrupt error during install

--- Andrea Vettorello <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Could be a fault flat cable, or a dying HD. You can
> test the latter
> downloading an utility from the manufacturer of your
> HD to check it.
> Oh, and the CD-Rom could have problem to read disk
> too, specially if
> dust has accumulated on the lens, or if the CD isn't
> burned correctly
> or the media is cheap...
>

> Andrea

Thanks!

It could be the dust; it is a dusty room and I puffed
it out and it didn't happen again, but there may be a
deeper problem with the machine...I got a "possible
hardware bug" message during the same 'tasksel'
operation that has changed the clock on the Windows
side.

At any rate the best solution is to do a base install
and then log in and run 'tasksel'.  Running it during
the install can leave you with an improperly mounted
partition that won't boot, but errors running it after
that first mount will leave you in a much better
position to troubleshoot the problem.

ejd