Re: [OT] Debian advocacy for Smart but Scared People With Lives

William Ballard wrote:
On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 01:05:04PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:

Actually, you did (but not deliberately).  Knoppix (from at least this
year) gets both up and running automagically.  Get them the newest
Knoppix, and next time you're over there to fix their Windows system
again, throw Knoppix in and let them have at it.

Not true: neither the soundcard nor the network card were detected automatically. I think his network card was a 3com 3c59x or some permutation of those letters. There's a "common" variety and a "less common" variety. I googled whatever it was plus +debian and found out some completely non-intuitive driver you could substitute for it, and why Knoppix didn't support it out of box. Never could quite figure out what the issue was with Alsa.

Of course I could have set there and dinked with it until it worked, but that's what I told them they'd have to do and they don't want to do it.

They're still stuck in that "just run setup.exe" from the vendor's website mindset.

Hardware in Linux is really no different than in Win or Mac. If it's made to work with the OS, it will probably just work. If a manufacturer intended a product to be Win only, it may be a lot of work (or more than it's worth) to get it to work in Linux. More and more hardware is cross platform. Will it cost money to replace those cards? Yes. If they don't want to (or can't) spend money, then they have the option of spending time. The probability of getting hardware to work in Linux is high, even if sometimes it's not automatic. That's one of the beautiful things about Linux we have going for us. Try getting something to work in Windoze when there is no "vendor's website".

Jim

PS: Sorry about the double post, I mixed up my replies.