Re: [OT] Debian advocacy for Smart but Scared People With Lives

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 01:05:04PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Actually, you did (but not deliberately).  Knoppix (from at least this
> year) gets both up and running automagically.  Get them the newest
> Knoppix, and next time you're over there to fix their Windows system
> again, throw Knoppix in and let them have at it.

Not true: neither the soundcard nor the network card were detected
automatically.  I think his network card was a 3com 3c59x or some
permutation of those letters.  There's a "common" variety and a "less
common" variety.  I googled whatever it was plus +debian and found out
some completely non-intuitive driver you could substitute for it, and
why Knoppix didn't support it out of box.  Never could quite figure out
what the issue was with Alsa.

Of course I could have set there and dinked with it until it worked, but
that's what I told them they'd have to do and they don't want to do it.

They're still stuck in that "just run setup.exe" from the vendor's
website mindset.