Re: [OT] Debian advocacy for Smart but Scared People With Lives

William Ballard wrote:
My brother in law and nephew are above-average with computer skills but not C programmers. Both are resistant to trying the Knoppix CD I burned for them because I told them it's going to be really hard for them to get their sound card or network card or what have you working -- I didn't lie to them.

I just can't get them interested in Linux because they just can't get motivated to switch or even dual boot -- even though their computers are totally infested with Spyware. Nephew can't go anywhere on the internet, he just works around it.

I'm just gonna give up on them.  Should everyone switch?

IMHO, no, not everyone should switch. I also have dealt with people like them. I've concluded that they are under the influence of the "Redmond Syndrome". As we all know, this is an especially virulent condition that warps the part of the brain that deals with realistic thinking. I refuse to be an enabler, but only they can break their chains. We can only look on with pity and compassion.

Jim

PS: Sorry about the double post, I mixed up my replies.