Re: Sounds off in bash

Incoming from Otto Wyss:
> Thomas Adam <thomas_adam16@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > I'm starting X through startx so again I'm missing the .xsession . I
> > > know there is a sample somewhere but I can't find it.
> >
> > http://www.hantslug.org.uk/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?LinuxHints/StartX
> >
> Creating the above .xsession files disables the default XFCE4 startup
> and I get only an empty X screen. So what now?

Is it being used?  I found when I disabled XDM, all my personalization
in .xinitrc was ignored.  I moved them to .xsession, and all worked as
before.  Others have mentioned that their system is exactly opposite
to mine, so try moving them to .xinitrc

Here's some additions to your startup file (whichever you end up
with).  Note the mentions of .Xclients, .xmodmap, and .Xresources; I
use .Xclients to start up the _applications_ I want running in X.

  ---------- 8< snip -------------------------------
#!/bin/bash
#

userresources=$HOME/.Xresources
usermodmap=$HOME/.xmodmap
xclients=$HOME/.Xclients
sysresources=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xresources
sysmodmap=/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/.Xmodmap

# merge in defaults and keymaps
#
if [ -f $sysresources ]; then
  xrdb -merge $sysresources