Re: [OT] Debian advocacy for Smart but Scared People With Lives

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 12:16:21PM -0700, Gilbert, Joseph wrote:
> session and found that KDE had autodetected my sound card.  You may want to
> have them give Sarge a try.  It may be a lot easier than even you suspect...
> keep in mind, that is a may.  :-)

This isn't a technical thing, so much as a motivation thing.  I actually
remember the 3-4 years I was aware of things like "apt-get" and "Debian"
and "Microsoft Security bugs" and just couldn't be bothered to switch.
I remember exactly what went through my mind: (1) I already know how to
do cool things, it's scary to stop doing the cool things I already know
how to do; (2) even if it's cool, why should I work so hard when I'm
already cool and know how to run things like CygWin?; (3) why don't them
wierd Linux people just get a job like me and get an MSDN subscription;
I've got all the stuff I need for free; why do I care?

And I spent a month getting all Debian's eyecandy and hardware
acceleration working.  And mutt was ridiculous at first compared to
Outlook.  Now of course, I see the world very differently, but I just
don't know how to make someone else motivated to make this leap of
faith.

Of course they'll like it -- but they just need to be nudged.  And I
don't want to piss them off by making them do something they don't want
to do.