APIC error

I have a Giga-byte GA-7DPXW+ mobo with dual Athlon MP 2800+ cpus.  The kernel
is a custom 2.6.8, basically the stock k7-smp kernel with PCMCIA, ACPI, and
OSS removed, compiled with gcc-3.3.

Trying to clone a hard disk using dd, i get the following error repetitively:

APIC error on CPU1:  00 (40)
APIC error on CPU1:  40 (40)
APIC error on CPU0:  00 (40)
APIC error on CPU0:  40 (40)

This continues with the 40 (40) until the process runs its course, or i kill
the process totally.

APIC error bits, listed in the
kernel-source:  /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/kernel/apic.c only go from 0 through
7.  Poking around google, I have found numerous references, all the way back
to the 2.2 series of kernels and none refer to error codes higher than 7.

Can someone give me a clue as to how to decipher this?  or point me towards a
location where the question is more appropriate?

TIA

Bob