Re: debian installer / serial ata confusion

On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 18:03, Jacob S wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:33:05 -0700
> Justin Speers <jaspeers@comcast.net> wrote:
>

> > I'm attempting to install debian for the first time using
> > debian-installer, and I've run into some problems with my serial ata
> > drive setup.
> >
> > I have an abit motherboard with the intel i865pe chipset, onboard
> > serial ata chip.  My cd drive is a Lite-on 52x burner.  My only hard
> > drive is a 80GB maxtor serial ata drive.  I'm trying to install the
> > 2.6 kernel, other than that I just choose default options.
> >
> > During installation, the installer fails when trying to mount the
> > cdrom drive.  Neither the cdrom drive nor the hard drive show up
> > underneath/dev.  If I disable the serial ata in the bios, the cd
drive
> > is then detected just fine, but of course the hard drive is no
longer
> > found since it is disabled.
> >
> > It looks like Ubuntu does the same thing for me, it appears they use
> > the same installer.  Right now I'm running fedora core 2, and that
> > installation didn't have any problems.
> >
> > I've looked around google and browsed the recent archives for the
> > mailing list, but haven't come up with anything helpful thus far.
Any
> > tips / suggestions for me?
>
> Which version of the installer are you using?

I'm using pre-rc2, right from the top of
http://www.debian.org/debian-installer/

> I successfully installed
> to a 160GB SATA using the Debian-Installer about a month ago. I used
one
> of the daily builds, instead of RC1. Sorry, I don't remember exactly
> which build that was. My motherboard is a DFI, and the SATA controller
> is a Silicon Image SiI3114, but I would think an Intel chipset would
be
> supported even better.

Maybe I'll have better luck with one of the daily builds...  I'll have
to try that out as well.    In case I didn't provide enough information
on my motherboard, it's an Abit with the I865PE + ICH5 chipset...

> Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but my cdrom is hooked up to
> the secondary IDE controller; the primary IDE controller is empty and
my
> hard drive is hooked up to the first SATA port.
>
> HTH,
> Jacob

That's exactly identical to my setup...  I have found a lot of other
comments online regarding serial ata issues across several different
distros, but most of them end up recommending upgrading your kernel.
Since I'm going for 2.6, I don't really think there's any room for me to
move in that direction...

Thanks,
~  Justin