Checking length of time?

I have set up a bare debian system that allows internet sharing through a dial up connection. My ISP only allows 8 hours of a constant connection b4 they log you off. I have 2 questions.

1. How do I check the status of the connection... ie the length of time that my debian box has been connected?

2. How can I set my box up to automatically disconnect after say about 7.5 hours, and then reconnect?

Thanks everybody... This forum has been a huge help in my transitioning to Linux.