Re: debian installer / serial ata confusion

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 17:33:05 -0700
Justin Speers <jaspeers@comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm attempting to install debian for the first time using
> debian-installer, and I've run into some problems with my serial ata
> drive setup.
>
> I have an abit motherboard with the intel i865pe chipset, onboard
> serial ata chip.  My cd drive is a Lite-on 52x burner.  My only hard
> drive is a 80GB maxtor serial ata drive.  I'm trying to install the
> 2.6 kernel, other than that I just choose default options.
>
> During installation, the installer fails when trying to mount the
> cdrom drive.  Neither the cdrom drive nor the hard drive show up
> underneath/dev.  If I disable the serial ata in the bios, the cd drive
> is then detected just fine, but of course the hard drive is no longer
> found since it is disabled.
>
> It looks like Ubuntu does the same thing for me, it appears they use
> the same installer.  Right now I'm running fedora core 2, and that
> installation didn't have any problems.
>
> I've looked around google and browsed the recent archives for the
> mailing list, but haven't come up with anything helpful thus far.  Any
> tips / suggestions for me?

Which version of the installer are you using? I successfully installed
to a 160GB SATA using the Debian-Installer about a month ago. I used one
of the daily builds, instead of RC1. Sorry, I don't remember exactly
which build that was. My motherboard is a DFI, and the SATA controller
is a Silicon Image SiI3114, but I would think an Intel chipset would be
supported even better.

Also, not sure if it makes a difference, but my cdrom is hooked up to
the secondary IDE controller; the primary IDE controller is empty and my
hard drive is hooked up to the first SATA port.

HTH,
Jacob