Re: xfce

Erik wrote:
>  >To start xfce4 from the console you should do as a normal user:
>
> >cat << EOF > .xsession
> >#!/bin/bash
> >
> >exec xfce4-session
> >
> >EOF
> >chmod +x .xsession
> >
> >and use the startx command to start it.
> >
> Are the above lines simple being typed at the prompt ?.

Yes, all that is happening is cat is writing to the file .xsession until
it meets the EOF marker (it doesn't need to be EOF but it's common
practice, EOF=End Of File). So if I wanted to write "Hello World!" to
the file "hello" I would type:

cat <<  EOF > hello
Hello World!
EOF

It is a quick way to create small files.

If you are not sure what you are doing you may be better of installing
gdm (if it isn't already) and then just choosing xfce4 session from the
session menu. But of course it's up to you ;)

--
OoberMick