Re: xfce

Lourens Steenkamp wrote:

Lourens replying to Erik Jakobsen <eja@urbakken.dk> wrote:

steef wrote:

> i do not understand! when i do apt-cache search xfce: i get a > 'cholesterol free dekstop-environment', and,
> kpackage under sarge installs xfce without any trouble. so: what is
> > wrong with your installed version of sarge? maybe that is better > question under circumstances.
>
> steef

Hi again.

The xfce here is called xfce4, I could see running an apt-cache
search xfce. Now it looks like it installs:

Erik Jakobsen wrote:

# apt-get install xfce4
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
gtk2-engines-xfce libdbh1.0-1 libxfce4mcs-client-1 libxfce4mcs-manager-1 libxfce4util-1 libxfcegui4-1 xfce4-mcs-manager
  xfce4-mcs-plugins xfce4-panel xfce4-session xfce4-themes
xfce4-utils xfdesktop4 xffm4 xffm4-icons xfwm4 xfwm4-themes
Suggested packages:
  sudo
Recommended packages:
xfce4-iconbox xfce4-mixer xfce4-systray xfce4-toys xfce4-trigger-launcher xfprint4 xfcalendar

Thanks for opening my eyes :-)

Erik Jakobsen

I would also suggest that you do "apt-cache search xfce4" and install
all the xfce4 packages that look interesting to you. When booting, my machines start in the console and I use startx to run XFCE4. This will only work if you, as your normal user, in your home
directory, run/usr/bin/xfce4_setup
This will do make all the required changes to your config files.

Have fun

*****

Lourens Steenkamp
Enjoying Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2