installing on an older machine

I am trying to install debian on an old hp vectra. The (testing) install
goes along fine, finding the nic and downloading stuff from the network
but then it reports that it can't find any partitionable media. Well,
there is a 1.7 gig hard drive that currently has a stripted win95 on it.

Could there be some hardware mod I need to make or is the install
program at fault? There was a report-hw program in /bin that I piped
through more. It found lots of things but stopped when it couldn't find
hdparm.

I'm using install floppies dated 8-1-2004.

What should I try next?

--
One can be instructed in society, one is inspired only in solitude. -Johann
Wolfgang von Goethe, poet, dramatist, novelist, and philosopher (1749-1832)