Re: strange disk corruption - problem

hi ya brian

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> I have 1 IDE cable with nothing but 1 HD and 1 CDROM on it.  I keep
> things simple to avoid exactly such problems.

take off the cdrom .. and i bet your problems will disappear

and new disk does not imply it's a gooouuudd drive..

you should format with badblock check to confirm that there
is no bad blocks on the disk
	- just do the badblock checks on say the first 4GB or
	however big your deb install is vs doing the whole 300GB of it

--------

other issue ..
	- swap out the memory stick with a different vendor
	and see if the other memory stick reflects the same errors

> Very odd that it does not ever seem to be a problem except on the
> first power-up.

could be marginal power supply  too as the disk is still trying
to power up from a cold boot ??

does it happen when you "properly" hit the reset switch when
the disk is not yet mounted

c ya
alvin