Re: strange disk corruption

On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 briand@aracnet.com wrote:

> I've currently set fsck to run pretty much on every other boot.

why

it will figure it out for itself

> And just about every time it runs , it informs me that it fixed file
> system errors and reboots the system.

how do you shutdown ? ( exactly what command and options do you use )

> However all other indicators of disk operation are just fine.

not if you have the symptoms you're describing

> So this problem has a history.  I had previously been seeing
> corruption in the /dev directory and only the /dev directory.

get a clean /dev from a clean system ..

retoring /dev from a suspect corrupt system will only make things worst

> 1.  the /dev directory seems to be somewhat dynamic, could there be a
>     debian start-up script which is/was somehow corrupting the /dev
>     directory ?

not likely ... too many "debian users"

> 2.  Do I have bad blocks on the disk ?  And how would I check this?

its possible...

badblocks

>     Again, I've seen no other evidence whatsoever of flaky disk
>     behavior ?

where did you look

what is in the /var/log/messages and other log files

what is the temperature of the harddisks
what does the ide cable look like
how many devices on the ide cable

> 3.  Could this be a bug in fsck ?

not likely ...

we're assuming you're running e2fsck on an ext2 or ext3 fs

>  Why doesn't fsck actually tell me
>     what the errors are !!  It just says "fixed them - rebooting".
>     isn't this a Bad Thing (TM) ?

it tells you what node is bad and if you wanna have it fix it for you

it does NOT fix anything for you by default

what options do you use

(automatic) "y"  is the worst options to use without knowing what it's
gonna do

c ya
alvin