Re: aptitude: packages have been kept back?

Brian Pack wrote:
On Wed, 2004-10-06 at 13:46, ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:

On Oct 2, 2004, at 1:11 AM, Thomas Adam wrote:

 --- ms419@freezone.co.uk wrote:

Can someone please explain why some packages might be "kept back", or
how I might find out?

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=aptitude

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip, Thomas, but did you mean this problem has already
been reported, or that I should submit a bug report?

If you mean this has already been reported, I can't find the bug to
which you're referring.

If you mean I should submit a bug, I'm not convinced my problem isn't
my misuse of aptitude.

I guess what I'd like to know is how to get more information about why
aptitude is concluding that these couple packages should be "kept
back", to better understand whether the fault is aptitude's or mine.
Unfortunately I haven't managed to gather this, using only aptitude's
ample documentation.

Could you please clarify what you meant, Thomas?

Thanks again!

I don't think it's a bug. I see something similar with synaptic. It
usually happens after I update my lists and choose a range of files to
upgrade. The files "kept back" are the upgradeable files I have chosen
not to upgrade.

It would be worth installing synaptic as it is much clearer what is happening than aptitude, in my opinion.:-)
I have a kept-back which is waiting for other packages to be upgraded which are not available yet. It is unlikely that you are doing any thing wrong.

Robin